June 29, 2012: A long short weekend

Captain and crew arrived early at the Rose on this Friday afternoon, in preparation for the following day of fun on the water with friends.  A blistering-hot weekend slated for the Chesapeake region with temperatures exceeding 100degrees, the first order of business was to get the air-conditioning in full-production as gear and supplies were quickly stowed below decks, followed by removing her fore and aft isinglass curtains to get as much airflow as possible from the gentle afternoon breeze through Christina’s cockpit.  Although well-provisioned for what basically was to be a short weekend for many, things turned into something quite-different than planned as Christina became more Ark than playground; a life-raft of sorts with Mother Nature ultimately deciding how the coming days would play out.

By 10pm Friday night, the warning-signs were in-place despite how peaceful and calm the evening was outside.  Merely a stroke of chance, by accidently hitting a local television station while attempting to queue-up Disney-XD on the satellite-TV receiver for the First-Mate, it quickly became evident a serious storm was headed our way regardless of the current conditions outside.  It was enough warning to get all of the ‘glass curtains hung back up (plus close the truck’s windows) before no-breeze turned into some-breeze which then turned into hurricane-force 80MPH winds, rain, and hail over only a matter of minutes.  A decision earlier in the day to not cruise-out for dinner 25-miles away and stay the night on-hook (only because friends were arriving early the following morning) was equally fortuitous.  Tip of the arrow shows Christina’s location moments before the wind picked-up:

Severe storm alert

Apparently a storm's a comin... shown over the crew's house and on it's way to the Rose...

The storm was over as quickly as it came, though its aftermath took much longer to recover from.  Most of the Captain and Crew’s hometown was in the storm’s direct path causing our friends to remain at home for repairs on Saturday (and in fear of a repeat storm Saturday night).  Aside from power out and a few branches down at home, there was no reason NOT to continue our plans for fun and sun near St Michaels, even if it was without our friends aboard.

The Rose cruised south through Eastern Bay and into the Miles River under direct command of the Admiral; her curtains fully-down creating a 30MPH breeze as long as she kept moving on this 100-degree day:

Admiral Driving

The Admiral in Control, Eastern-Bay 2012

The Christina Rose dropped hook at one of her favorite anchoring locations then dropped both kayaks into the Miles so the crew could do some beachcombing and exercise.  Since plans prior to the storm involved multiple guests, the Rose had plenty of shrimp and hors d’oeuvres for the small abandoned crew, plus plenty of marinated chicken for the Magma to prepare for dinner

Refreshment Time

Cooling-down on the Miles, 2012

Watching the Fish

Watching the fish (jelly too) on the Miles River, 2012

Curtains Down

CR's curtains fully-down, letting the 100-degree breeze through! Miles River 2012

Hanging out on the Miles

CR and crew on the Miles, 2012

Chicken on the Magma

A little dinner before fireworks, Miles River 2012

Saturday evening’s agenda was to watch the early 4th-of-July fireworks in St. Michaels’ harbor, causing a quick clean-up prior to anchor-up at sundown.  After significant lifting in knee-high water by the captain due to tides dropping almost 2ft (while anchored in only 3ft), Christina and her 15,000# belly cruised under the setting sun to St. Michaels for a very impressive (local) 28-minute long show directly off the stern of the Rose:

Sunset 2012

Sunset on the Miles, June 2012

The radar and spotlight worked great at covering for the deficiencies of the bow-light (which decided not to work at 10:30pm) on the nighttime cruise home!  However, the very nice police-man hiding just north of Kent Narrows wasn’t quite as impressed with Christina’s electronics performance, as his pretty blue lights came on just as we exited the Kent Narrows channel markers at 11:15pm.  After a brief escort to our slip (with a profuse “thank-you for the escort” to the nice officer which seemed to cause him to put his book away), everyone was bunked well-before midnight.

Small Fry

First Mate fishing at the docks, June 2012

Red Sky in Morning...

Red-sky at sun-up, usually a bad-sign (not this day, though)! 3July2012

As said earlier, storm damage at home forced Christina’s crew to remain on-board long-after the weekend, until July 4th (Wednesday, 5-days after the storm rolled-through and knocked-out power to hundreds-of-thousands of our neighbors), serving as an air-conditioned life-raft with full satellite TV.  What was to only be a day-or-so aboard turned into a gorgeous week filled with biking, swimming, a little boating, trips into work from the marina, plus basically proving that it was possible for three people to live in about 200sq-ft of space… and survive in style.

Total time underway this week was only 2-hours 27-minutes, with a maximum speed of 27kt and an average cruise-speed of 15kt.  However, total time on-board was 122-hours, possibly a new record for Christina’s crew.

Happy Wakes!  Feel free to drop me a note anytime, ChristinaRose@edickent.com

This entry was posted in General Blogs. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.